Macerata - Palazzo Marefoschi
The palace of the Compagnoni Marefoschi family is located at Via Don Minzoni, 11.
In 1772 Cardinal Mario Compagnoni Marefoschi arranged for King Charles III and Queen Louise to renew their marriage vows in person in the palace of the cardinal's brother Count Camillo Marefoschi (they had already been married by proxy). The ceremony took place in the private chapel of the palace on Good Friday, April 17, 1772, with the Bishop of Macerata, Carlo Augusto Peruzzini, presiding. 1
A Latin inscription on the wall of the chapel records the marriage:
QVOD. HEIC. XV. KAL. MAIAS
The couple stayed as guests in the palace for the next two nights, leaving for Rome on the evening of Easter Sunday.
Macerata can be reached by bus from either Rome or Ancona. Buses arrive at the Giardini Diaz on the west side of the city. From there one can take the elevator up into the city, and then walk to Piazza della Liberta at the centre of the town, and then eastwards two blocks along Via Don Minzoni. The Palazzo Marefoschi is on the right.
1 An English-translation of an account of the wedding from the Archives of the Compagnoni Marefoschi family is printed in Amy Vitteleschi, A Court in Exile: Charles Edward Stuart and the Romance of the Countess d'Albanie (London: Hutchinson, 1903), II, 388-389.
Image 1 (Facade of Palazzo Marefoschi): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 2 (Chapel): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 3 (Inscription in the Chapel): © Noel S. McFerran 2004.
Image 4 (Bedroom): Amy Vitteleschi, A Court in Exile (London: Hutchinson, 1903), II, plate opposite page 394.