Palazzo Pallavicini Rospigliosi
The Palazzo Pallavicini Rospigliosi is located at Via XXIV Maggio, 43. For three hundred years it has been the home of the Pallavicini Rospigliosi family. On the first floor of the palace is the Galleria Rospigliosi, the second most important private art collection in Rome after that in the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj.
In the Sala degli Antenati hangs a portrait of Queen Clementina (wife of King James III and VIII). 1 The portrait is clearly a copy of that by Martin van Meytens painted in 1725; it is probable that it is the copy by Domenico Duprà painted in 1742. 2 Clementina wears an ermine cape and the blue sash of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
The Galleria Rospigliosi does not have regular open hours. Special permission to visit the gallery can be obtained by applying to the Pallavicini Administration, via della Consulta 1b (telephone 06.474.40.19).
1 Il Palazzo Pallavicini Rospigliosi e la Galleria Pallavicini (Rome: Umberto Allemandi, 1999), 187.
2 Cf. Edward Corp, The King over the Water: Portraits of the Stuarts in Exile after 1689 (Edinburgh: Scottish National Portrait Gallery, 2001), 108. The Duprà copy measures 63.5 cm high and 48.3 cm wide. Martin van Meytens was born in Stockholm in 1695, and died in Vienna in 1770. In 1725 he painted portraits of King James III and VIII and Queen Clementina, copies of which are now in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery. A copy by E. Gill of Meytens portrait of James is now in the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Nantes. Domenico Duprà was born in 1689 and died in 1770. Between 1740 and 1744 he painted at least eight portraits of members of the Royal Family; two of these are now in the Palacio da Liria in Madrid.
Image 1 (Queen Clementina): Il Palazzo Pallavicini Rospigliosi e la Galleria Pallavicini, 187.