Munich - Leuchtenberg Palais
This palace (formerly called the Luitpold Palais or the Prinz Luitpold Palais) is located at Odeonsplatz 4.
This was the first home of Princess Mary (later Queen Mary IV and III) and her husband Prince Ludwig of Bavaria after their marriage in 1868. 1 King Rupert was born here the following year. On May 20, 1869, he was baptised in the palace chapel. 2
In 1923 the Bavarian Landtag recognised the private ownership of the palace by the House of Wittelsbach. It was the Munich residence of King Rupert from 1923 until 1939, as well as the seat of his Chancery.
The palace was severely damaged by bombing in 1943 and 1944; the interior furnishings, however, were saved and can now be seen at Schloss Nymphenburg. 3 In 1957 the Government of Bavaria purchased the property. The palace was rebuilt between 1963 and 1966. 4 It now houses the Bavarian Ministry of Finance. 5
1 Martha Schad, Bayerns Königinnen (Regensburg: Friedrich Pustet, 1992), 277.
2 Joe J. Heydecker, Kronprinz Rupprecht von Bayern: Ein Lebensbild (München: Süddeutscher Verlag, 1953): 14.
3 Kurt Sendtner, Rupprecht von Wittelsbach, Kronprinz von Bayern (München: Richard Pflaum, 1954), 473.
4 "Bayerisches Staatsministerium der Finanzen: Haus Odeonsplatz 4", http://www.bayern.de/STMF/seiten/gebaeude.htm
5 The Minister of Finance has his office in the room formerly occupied by Queen Antonia.
Image 1 (Facade): © Noel S. McFerran 2003.