A Jacobite Gazetteer - France

Soligny-la-Trappe - Abbaye Notre Dame de la Trappe

King James II and VII first visited this abbey in November 1690. Subsequently he made an annual retreat there. His wife Queen Mary Beatrice visted the abbey in May 1696.

The abbey was almost totally destroyed during the French Revolution; the present abbey was built in the nineteenth century. The thirteenth century guest house is the only ancient building.


This page is maintained by Noel S. McFerran (noel.mcferran@rogers.com) and was last updated July 19, 2005.
© Noel S. McFerran 2003-2005.